Cloud Software Engineer
|📅 Start date
|Remote, with occasional company meetings in Bristol (maximum 1x a month)
|Full time, Permanent
About Beam Connectivity
Beam Connectivity are a startup in the automotive IoT space. We work with established and up-and-coming vehicle manufacturers to deliver best-in-class connected vehicle experiences. After a successful first 4 years and announcement of strategic funding from Fortescue WAE, we have now secured new projects and are expanding our software team.
Join us at Beam - as an early team member you will play a key role in our growth, while we take a key role in yours.
Improving the world of connected vehicles
The experience that users get with today’s connected vehicle solutions is pretty poor - painfully slow, clunky and often insecure. We believe that part of the reason for this is the way those solutions are delivered - outsourced to numerous companies, none of which have a deep understanding, nor the responsibility for the end-to-end system.
Delivering a robust automotive IoT solution requires a wide variety of skills and experience. At Beam, we are a truly multi-disciplinary team, covering all the skills required to deliver a first class connected experience. Our flagship product is the Connected Vehicle as a Service platform, or CVaaS. This platform includes: 1) Electronics hardware deployed in a vehicle, 2) Embedded software, 3) Cloud services, 4) Mobile apps. We do all this under one roof, so you’ll be exposed to all this technology at one time or other. This should excite you, not scare you!
At Beam, we spend our engineering energy on three main things:
- Building out our core CVaaS platform - Building new features, adding resilience, and rolling this out to vehicle manufacturers customers.
- Research projects to help our long term platform roadmap - Examples: AutoCHERI, satellite comms PoC, video streaming and compression PoC.
- Building the Elysia platform with our investor, WAE Technologies.
Learn more about us at: https://beamconnectivity.com
Thoughtful technology choices
We use modern software delivery practices to build clean, resilient software. As we are a small team we need to make sustainable technology choices for the long term, understanding and articulating the risks and trade-offs of our design decisions within the team.
We are looking for someone who is confident building out backend features on AWS, but has lots of room to grow - this is where the Beam Team can add value to your career.
As a Software Engineer you will be focused on building out our cloud platform, which runs on AWS and is the linchpin between vehicles, back-office IT systems, and end-user mobile apps. The cloud platform is responsible for ingesting data, streaming and batch analytics, and exposing APIs to allow the mobile apps to talk to the vehicles. You will be working with cutting-edge technology and we can guarantee the work will be challenging, exciting and satisfying.
We are looking for someone who isn’t intimidated by AWS IAM policies and takes pride in writing elegant software; someone who sees code as craft. Strong collaboration between disciplines is a feature of our agile practice, so being able to articulate technical detail at the right level for the audience is important. As you would be working with cutting-edge technology and we can guarantee the work will be challenging, exciting and satisfying.
We have strong processes in place for the design and delivery of software, so are looking for someone who can fit in with our engineering culture. During your time at Beam you will be working both on our core CVaaS product and also our cutting edge PoCs.
- Develop backend data processing features - APIs, data ingestion, analytics, data science.
- Champion automation and mature our IaC approach from Cloudformation to… 🤔
- Help manage our AWS environments, considering cost, maintenance and security
- Work with the cloud team, reviewing each others’ designs and code.
- Work as part of the wider team to integrate and debug the end-to-end system: Hardware, cloud and mobile apps.
- Help manage the DevOps toolchain for the cloud software team
These are the primary skills that the job entails.
- Be a good communicator - working remotely requires that we are comfortable articulating really complex things
- Real-world experience with AWS - deploying resources and troubleshooting (usually IAM policies 😔)
- Proficient with IaC deployemnt through CloudFormation or Terraform.
- Networking theory and security mindset - understanding the networking and security fundamentals, configuring VPCs
- Confident in python - familiarity with production-grade python code, dependency management, linting, testing, etc
- Shell scripting to support devops processes.
- Investigative and innovative - able to solve problems, make technical leaps and find solutions as part of a team or (sometimes) on your own
- Being a nice person - we are a distributed team, so building and maintaining relationships within the team is key!
Nice to have skills
These are disciplines that we are already strong in because they’re part of our core stack. Any experience you have with these would be a bonus, but is by no means a requirement.
- Working with AWS serverless stack - Lambda, DynamoDB, Timestream, API Gateway, etc
- DevOps mindset - being motivated and knowing how to automate development and operational tasks
- Building and running Docker containers
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL data persistence
- Big data or data science background: Apache Spark, Apache Hive, machine learning
- Maker experience - prototyping experience with commodity components - e.g. Raspberry Pi, Arduino.
Get in touch
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to learn more or apply for the role.
Back to Home