We are the Beam Connectivity developers - Hello 👋🏼
We are building a platform is called CVaaS - Connected Vehicle as a Service - and it’s made up of hardware and software that runs on a vehicle, a cloud platform on AWS, and some mobile apps. Our platform architecture (and org architecture!) is focussed on three pillars:
- Highly Performant - Minimising the latency between vehicle ↔ cloud ↔ app, which in turn supercharges the User Experience.
- Highly Secure - Cyber security has never been more important and all indications are that the future will be even more hostile.
- Highly Flexible - Much like our team, our platform majors on rapid integration into a variety of vehicles and backoffice IT systems.
We supply the complete, end-to-end platform so we can optimise the performance and security of the whole system rather than being locked into an API that we can’t change. If you want to understand more about our platform, check out our main website at https://beamconnectivity.com.
This site is all about our Beam Team developers - our high performance, cross-functional team of hardware, embedded, cloud and mobile engineers.
Founded in early 2020, we are sustainably growing the team to match our new customer commitments. So, what makes Beam special?
🚗 We work at the cutting edge of automotive & mobility technology - Connected cars, EVs, eBikes, cyber security
🌍 We try to do our bit to make the world a better place by working with clients supporting sustainable mobility
👩🏼💻 We use modern tech and dev practices that improve our lives as developers
👨🏼🏫 We are digital by default and always looking to improve how we work
👐🏼 We love OSS, both using and contributing
👯♀️ The whole team is super-smart and friendly, yet humble
📍 We are a remote and flexible team - fitting around life commitments is important to us, whether that’s children, hobbies or body-clocks
✂ As a small company, there is no bureaucracy and decisions are made by the people closest to the problem
🌴 We have plans to scale slow and steady over the next year, so early engineers have the opportunity to grow and lead when the time is right
🥳 We build great products and have fun doing it
We use the right tool for the job but do try to converge around a few, solid but flexible technologies (and here’s why). These make up the main spine of the platform:
🚗 Embedded: Linux, C, bash, python, SQLite + all kinds of hardware and dev boards!
☁️ Cloud Backend: AWS serverless, python, REST, Docker, Grafana, Presto DB, Apache Spark, CloudFlare
📱 Mobile: Swift, Kotlin, Fastlane, Firebase, Figma, Android Auto & Carplay
🧰 DevOps: Docker, Azure DevOps, CloudFormation, bash, python, OpenAPI spec (Swagger), VS Code
Our CI-CD infrastructure is highly automated and runs on Azure DevOps. We are rightfully proud of how smoothly and consistently we can deliver quality software. Our delivery process gives us clear traceability from tickets, through design, code, tests and PRs, and out to automated release pipelines.
We also do a lot of hardware engineering, both prototyping with Raspberry Pis and developing our own bespoke, automotive-grade electronics.
As a small company, every hire is important to our growth. We are remote-first using modern, digital tools, so the ability to communicate clearly is an essential skill that we all need. As an engineer we need you to be able to articulate problems you’re having, explain how things work, and influence other members of the Beam Team when you have a killer idea. We believe that interviews are a two-way process - it is vital we understand what we each are looking for.
We recruit for potential and to maximise fit with the team, rather than demanding the right buzzwords on your CV. We don’t expect you to have exercised all the skills we need (else how does anyone get a break?) but a successful candidate should be able to convince us that they can do the job. This is the interview process:
- Background reading - We will review your CV and any other information you provide such as your github account, LinkedIn profile and any community projects you’ve worked on in the public domain. We ask that you review our website, twitter and LinkedIn pages. The aim here is to each get an idea of each other’s background.
- Initial meeting - This is an opportunity for you to understand who Beam Connectivity are and for us to learn more about you. This stage is less about technical knowledge and more about where you’ve been and where you want to go. 30 minutes - 1 hour
- Technical interview - Now that we know a bit about each other, we will work through some of the more technical aspects of the role. We will typically ask you to talk through a project that you’ve recently worked on and we might ask you to whiteboard out the inner workings and ask questions about how you debug issues - that kind of thing. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions, and we won’t make you write code in front of us. 1 - 2 hours
- Final interview - An opportunity to meet a couple of other people in Beam Connectivity, so you can ask questions and get to know more about what it’s like being part of the team. 30 minutes - 1 hour
We understand that the package is about more than just the salary and company culture, so we want to be clear about what you will get as a Beam staffer:
🌍 Highly flexible, remote working
⛱ 25 days holiday
👩🏼🏫 Professional development budget
🏠 Home office budget to supercharge your workspace
💻 M1 MacBook or equivalent laptop
👴🏼 Competitive pension
🎉 Genuinely fun company away days (last time we went rally driving!)
These are some specific vacancies that we have:
Senior Cloud Software Engineer L3 - Remote - Filled
Cloud Software Developer / Full-Stack Developer - UK, Remote - Filled
Embedded Software Engineer - UK, Remote - Filled
Embedded Software Engineer - UK, Remote - Filled
Technical Project Manager - UK, Remote - Filled
Full Stack Developer - UK, Remote - Filled
However, we are always hunting for hungry, talented people. So if the above roles don’t appeal to you, feel free drop us your CV at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us what you can bring to the party.